Sunday, November 9, 2014
Lessons I've Learned From Potty Training
I'm so proud of my Ty guy. Ty is almost potty trained, and I feel like I need to write things down or I'll forget for the next one!
#1. Expecting Ty to tell me when he needs to go, run to the bathroom, pull down his own pants, sit on his little potty, pull up his pants, flush, wash, etc, is a lot to expect right off the bat. We start with baby steps, as long as he can tell me when he needs to go (which he is FANTASTIC at) then I can run him to the potty and help him out with the rest.
#2. When he has a brown and nasty mess in his underwear, don't let anger overtake. It only makes me mad and traumatizes your kid. I'm the one who wastes all of that emotional energy on something negative. So dumb. Don't do it. I learned this lesson best by being in public twice when he pooped his pants-which meant I had to be a civilized mom and I learned I was way less angry over the entire experience.
#3. Don't leave Ty alone in the bathroom too long....or he'll do more than poop. OR do what it says in #4 so the kid stays occupied.
#4. Sometimes, even though you've been told not to let your child watch something while sitting on the potty, take the advice with a grain of salt. Ty pooped a record 7 times a couple of days ago. The kid literally just can't sit still, not even to do his business. But sometimes, you can break the "potty training rules" someone else made just for your own sanity, and your kid can enjoy it too.
#5. I was determined not to be a "sticker chart" mom. I was potty trained without a sticker chart, and I turned out just fine, right? Well, sometimes we need to find our child's motivation. Sticker charts can make the process better and it's okay. It's really okay!
#6. PRAISE! People have said you can praise too much. Sure. Whatever. I'll never forget one day telling Ty how proud I was of him for using the potty. He immediately told me, "No momma, Grandpa and Grandma Sorensen are proud of me!" He loves the praise of others. And he does love the praise of his momma!
#7. PATIENCE. PATIENCE. PATIENCE. Ty has been doing GREAT. He hasn't pooped in his pants for weeks. Does he use the big potty yet? Nope. He's independent and loves his little potty. So, I'm waiting for the big day when we make the transition. I already tried to do it and he started "messing his britches" (as my mom would say) and we ended up with a lot of strife. So when I decide the time is right, we'll transition over to the big potty. Until then, PATIENCE. I'd rather clean poop out of the little potty than out of underwear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment