So the next morning my friend and I left at about 5:00am to get there by sunrise. We didn't know the area very well so it was somewhat frustrating but we figured out where we were supposed to be thanks to suggestions from the local biologist.
At about sunrise we drove around a corner and saw these bad boys...
So we moved on looking around for a few more hours. Our strategy was to drive around to a good high point to get out of the truck to look. Because the snow was so deep we couldn't move around very fast or quiet but we did our best. Each time we got out to look around we would see elk. It was amazing. There were elk everywhere. Once we came over a little hill and caught glimpse of at least one big bull and a cow running away from us about 75 yards away. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a shot by the time they were out of view. We couldn't catch up to them in the deep snow. We also saw three bulls a cow and a calf way out about 800 yards away. They were so fun to watch but they were across a canyon we didn't believe we could get across in the snow so we moved on.
By this time we were out of the valley floor and cruising the benches above the valley. We saw a ton of tracks coming off the benches into the valley floors. It seemed the Elk where migrating down into the farm fields at night and staying up in the bench areas during the day because once we got up to the benches we began seeing the most elk.
At about 11:00am after seeing a nice spike elk about 50 yards away from us we looked across the canyon to see this...
So I decided to take the shot. With my buddy behind me with the binoculars I told him where I was shooting. He would let me know if I missed and where it went. I took my first shot...missed... the elk were starting to stand up but weren't spooked. Took another shot...missed again. This time James said he thought I was too far to the right. So I adjusted and had to change the elk I was aiming at because the other was behind a tree. My third shot I aimed a little farther to the left and bingo! it dropped to the ground. It must have busted its front leg because it dropped and was trying to get up but couldn't. It didn't act wounded in the vitals so I needed to take another shot. After 4 more shots I felt like it was down for good and had been hit in a good spot. I wasn't sure where though...so we got in the truck and headed over there.
We approached the area where the elk went down where I snapped this shot...
And it was down for good so we admired, took some more pics, and began the hard part of field dressing and dragging it all out of there.
Three hours later we had the elk in the truck. We tied ropes to its legs and then tied the ropes around our shoulders and pulled for about an hour and a half. We headed back home at about 3:30pm. It was another successful and exciting hunt. What a great start to the new year!
Wow, what an adventure!!! We sure love you guys and miss you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chris for getting the Elk for us to enjoy the meat!
ReplyDelete