Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Dedicate This To Grandpa Watkins

Grandpa Watkins was one of the happiest people I have ever known. I was reading an article written about him in the Deseret News back in 2008 (Grandpa was 92!) and the interviewer asked him,

“What’s the secret to life?” He did not hesitate before answering. “Always have something you’re looking forward to,” he said. “I don’t let myself have a bad day,” he continued, “That’s the spirit of optimism, I’m always looking forward to something.”


I have a few new goals because if that is the secret to life, then I hope to be as chipper as Grandpa Watkins.

This video also gives a pretty good pattern to follow to be happy:


The video states that there are ways to create lasting positive change:
  • Three gratitudes
  • Exercise
  • Meditation
  • Random Acts of Kindness
  • Journaling
In Lieu of this video an the example of Grandpa Watkins, here is what I plan to do each day as a matter of habit:
  • Find one thing to look forward to each day. (Even if it is a 5 min hot shower, or having a clean room, etc.)
  • Tell Chris over dinner 3 things I was grateful for that day.
  • Continue to look for little ways to serve the people in my life and do them-big or small-do it!
I know I haven't hit everything on the list, but I do think that making a lot of changes can be a bit overwhelming, so I'm starting small and plan to add on things once I get in the habit.

Grandpa Watkins-thank you for your example and for making me want to be a happier person!

1 comment:

  1. I love and needed this post today! so thanks for writing it! i love the goals and though i do not know grandpa watkins..i definitely agree with his way of thinking! i miss u...how r u?

    ReplyDelete