Sunday, November 1, 2009

Here is my Marriott School Application Essay

Here is what I wrote for my Marriott School Application:

As an 18 year old young man, fresh out of high school, I decided to take my future into my own hands by developing and operating a landscaping company. I worked hard and grew the business to monthly revenues of $3600 and I hired two employees. The income from this thriving business venture allowed me to serve a two year mission in Argentina. While there I was asked to fill many leadership roles including new missionary trainer and assistant to the president. I organized and provided training meetings at leadership conferences to various groups of up to 180 missionaries.
Upon my return from Argentina, I began working for an established real estate investment company as an investor relations consultant. Within two months I was promoted as a lead consultant with supervisory duties over five employees. One month later I was asked to become a department manager of all seven consultants. One of my first responsibilities was to interview and hire four new employees. There I shaped and implemented department goals and incentives, developed and broadcast a customer satisfaction survey, and established a monthly newsletter for clients. I also created an innovative twelve month “Occupant Coaching Program.” This program provides software, training, and direct support to our occupants and gives them the skills to become financially stable. I am pleased that there are many people who are being helped with my program.
In June 2009, the creation of this ground-breaking program and my management talents were rewarded with a new position within the company as the Director of Corporate Marketing and Special Projects. As a member of the management team, I direct marketing efforts for each of the following three arms of the company: an educational subsidiary, an investment arm, and a property management group. I recently provided a company-wide training to all 40 employees and management on how to effectively use social media applications in our business. Within the past 10 months I have been directly responsible for over $110,000 of revenue for the company. This accomplishment has caught the attention of the CEO and COO and as a result I now work directly with them.
All of these career opportunities and achievements have occurred while enrolled during the last three semesters at BYU. I believe that it is because I have been able to glean and apply principles from my classes that I have been so successful at work. For example, the “Occupant Coaching Program” idea came to me while studying micro-loans in economics 110.
I have been mentored by several business and educational leaders who have encouraged and assisted me to develop business skills, models, and goals. And they stretch me. Currently, I am creating a business model for an online consulting network company that I will submit to the Marriott School Business Plan Competition. In addition to my GPA, what I bring to the business college is my entrepreneurial spirit, professional experience, and ongoing business successes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Chris. What an essay! You will get into the program for sure. You are so amazing! I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete