Thursday, April 23, 2020

Grace Marie Watkins

This post has been hard for me to write simply because there are so many details and well, I almost have a 6 month old and so details aren't as clear as they once were.  But if you're ready for an honest and long story with a happy ending, then read on!

I REALLY wanted to have Grace come a week early.  I was uncomfortable, exhausted, and in my head, it seemed to make sense that I should have her on October 28 - one week early.  That way I would have a Nov 28 (Ty) and a Dec 28 (Tate) - it just made sense that she should come on October 28.  I had a conversation with her and told her I would like her to come on that date, but I trusted that she would come when it was best.  I was so anxious about her coming...I don't know why.  But ANXIOUS - I wanted her here.  I couldn't wait to hold this little sweetie.  Each day I woke up after October 28, I cried.  I just wanted her here!

At my 39 week appointment my doctor set an induction date for November 3, but they accidentally put me at the wrong hospital and so nobody called me to go in the next morning.  I wasn't heartbroken because I wanted Grace to come on her own.

On November 5 I had had contractions in the early morning hours that didn't stay consistent and I hadn't slept much. As I went to take the first step down, I slipped and fell - more like did the splits across 5 stairs.  My hips were so ready for birth that if I had done that at another time, I REALLY would have hurt myself...but my hips just took it.  I had a nice big bruise and I was sore.  When I fell, the kids heard me and came right up and since I couldn't move for a few minutes, they just stayed and gave me all of the hugs and kisses.

I told Chris about my fall when he woke up and we decided to call the doctor since I didn't have a 40 week appointment and there was no induction.  When we called the doctor, they wouldn't see me.  They said I needed to go to labor and delivery and do a non-stress test.  I was frustrated because I knew baby was okay - the big bruise on my legs and behind was proof that baby took no brunt of the fall.  But we did what the doctor asked.  We called my mom and she met us at the hospital and took the kids.  We went into the hospital and the first thing they said was, "You're early!  You don't have to be here for a few hours!"  I was a little confused.  Apparently the doctor's office set up a new induction date that morning after my phone call but didn't call to let me know.  I wasn't sure I wanted the induction, I wanted to have Grace come on her own, but oh the waiting and anxiety...So after the non-stress test I asked the nurse to check me and see if I needed to still come that night for the cervidil.  (One thing I didn't like about being induced was spending the entire night in the hospital and getting a terrible night's sleep right before I would be doing the hardest physical labor.) The nurse said my cervix was soft so I wouldn't need to come that night and I could come in the morning, hallelujah!

I decided to go through with the induction on November 6.  It felt right.  It was on Grandma Ruth's birthday - (Paul's mother) and I had Ty on My Grandma Donna's birthday, so I felt great about it.  We went to my parent's house and went on a walk (I was actually having pretty consistent contractions) and my saint-of-a-mother told us to leave the kids there and she would just keep them until we were home from the hospital.  We all ate dinner together and then Chris and I headed back to Payson.  On our way home we stopped and had a little date and got some ice cream.  It was so weird to be in our home without the kids!  We went to bed and got some sleep!

When we woke up Chris made me a protein shake and we ate on the drive to the hospital.  As we were turning into the hospital, we saw our brother-in-law Ben on his morning run.  We pulled over and said a quick hello and he wished us well.  It was another little thing that made me smile and think that God was in this.  He helped me be comfortable with an induction with all of these little reminders that all was well.

When we checked into the hospital and I was assigned my nurse for the day, she and I quickly made the connection that she (Tisha) and my RS president Mikelle (who I had served as her counselor for the last few years) were great friends.  Tisha was from Payson and she also knew a handful of other families in the ward.  Too cool.  Tisha was a blast to have as a nurse and I just REALLY was grateful for her.

Nikki Sasser (my doula) showed up shortly after and they started the pitocin.  I wanted to go as long as I could without an epidural.  I have never had a great experience with an epidural - I always felt worse off in some ways - still feeling pain and a bit out of control....so Nikki and Chris helped apply counter pressure and helped me breathe and oh my, it was awesome and empowering.  She helped me get through 15 minute increments.  They broke my water at 8:55am and I tried the peanut ball at 10:30 to see if it would help move things along. They  kept turning up my pitocin and at 11:45 I got an epidural.  Getting the epidural in was the worst part, but once it was in, it was THE BEST epidural I have ever had!(The anesthesiologist was also from Payson)  I actually could relax.  I listened to beautifully peaceful music and visualized thanking Heavenly Father for trusting me with another child even though He knows I will mess up and make mistakes.  I also enjoyed thinking of Grandma Ruth during this time - Chris and I felt her at Ty's birth and I knew we would feel her again as we were bringing another sweetie here on her birthday.  I felt honored to have Grace on her birthday.  I was relaxed and it felt wonderful.  I was worried I would snore and that Chris would video it.  I legitimately asked him NOT to film me if that happened...lol.

Tisha shared with us that there was another couple having a baby but that both momma and baby were not doing good.  We prayed for them.  It was her first baby and things were hard.  We prayed that angels would be with them and that they would feel that they weren't alone.  We felt so grateful that our baby was strong and healthy.

At 2pm I was only dialated to a 5 and I kept using the peanut ball, hoping it would help things along.  Grace was posterior so things were moving slower than I thought they would.  2 hours later, I was dialated to an 8. 10 minutes later I was a 9, and 30 minutes later I just FELT different.  I told Tisha and she checked me and there was a baby!  And she turned in those last 30 minutes!  I pushed for 6 minutes and (8 pushes) she was here! 5:09pm I had the most beautiful baby girl in my arms! Dr. Bennet delivered her - I'd seen her a few times over the last few years and really like her.  She was awesome and I really was grateful for her and all of the nurses.

Grace was 7 lbs 1oz and 20 1/4 inches long.  She was pure perfection.  She screamed for over 30 minutes.  She just kept screaming and screaming, so that is what you will see in the first pictures of her life.  I was so tired and wasn't really in a position to rock her, and skin to skin didn't really calm her. So she screamed....and I just let her cause I was tired!



Ready for game time!


















Introducing her to her siblings was so special.  I knew how much they would adore her.











Grandma and Grace's namesake.  
Grace MARIE Watkins


Aunt Emilie was able to stop in!


Uncle Mikey came and took newborn photos.  We were so grateful!


Yup, they gave me that bracelet and I didn't find it funny.

We wanted to go home a day early.  We had our hearts set on getting out of that hospital - I was SO READY to get out of there.  We got everything ready except they came back to tell us that Grace's bilirubin levels were way too high.  She would have to stay at the hospital under their lights.  I was devastated.  But the really neat part was that yet again, there were sweet, tender mercies.  The night nurse who came to tell us that Grace would need to stay was actually in our ward!  I felt that Heavenly Father sent me an angel that night to watch over my baby and remind me that He was there to help.  So I was okay with us all spending another night in the hospital.  






So that's a lot of detail, more than anyone might want to read, unless you're us.  And this is our family record.

No comments:

Post a Comment