Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Tate Gordon Watkins

As I was saying, I woke up on Dec 28th with contractions at 5am.  Then by 8am they tapered off and I headed to my dr's appt.  He said I was dilated to a three and then stripped my membranes.  That got the contractions going again.  So Chris and I ran some errands while we were in town and the kids were happily with G-ma and G-pa Watkins at our house.  When we got back I laid down and tried to sleep, but the contractions were too ouchy so yeah.  Then at 2:30 we headed to the hospital.  They said I was still only dilated to a 3, so I was super bummed.  They said I had 1 hour to make progress and then if not, I'd have to go home.  I was devastated.  After a full day of contractions...I was already tired and not feeling like I could rest and hated the idea of driving home.  After one hour I was still only a 3....BUT the nice nurse (Sam) said I had effaced more so she'd check with my doctor to see what we could do.  And they let me stay!  I got an epidural and I was hoping it would help me relax but instead it caused me to shake uncontrollably.  It was hard to keep my spirits up.  At 5pm my doctor came in and broke my water.  
About an hour later the nurse said my waters weren't clear and that the baby had pooped.  I was SUPER nervous about that because Remi had done the same thing and it made things pretty rough after birth.  The baby's heart rate was another concern and they had to fill my water sac with more waters since the baby was experiencing some "desats" because of the contractions and not having a full sac to protect him.
By 6:30 I was still only dilated to a 5 and 45 min later I was still...a 5.  I felt so frustrated that I was progressing so slowly.  The nurses had talked about this thing called a peanut ball...that it helped posterior babies move right into position.  I was starting to feel a ton of pain not associated with contractions but in my hips, my pelvis, and lower back.  I was worried the epidural wasn't working right.  The anesthesiologist came in and put more stuff in my epidural but that only made my legs more numb.  Chris suggested we try the peanut ball.  I just laid there crying and frustrated.  After 45 min on the peanut ball the nurse decided to check me.  She checked me and immediately left to get the doctor. (Behold - the miraculous peanut ball!!!  In 45 min I went from a 5 to a 10 without pitocin - just a peanut ball and lots of silent prayers!) They told the other nurses that came in not the put my legs in the stirrups because she could see the baby's head.  SPIRITS LIFTED!  I knew he was about to make his entrance!  The doctor came in, I pushed three times, and he was here!  The doctor unwrapped the umbilical cord from his neck (it was around 3 times!) and suctioned him, and then the nurses worked on him a bit, but his apgar was an 8 or a 9 and he was doing great.  About 10 min after having him I got to hold him skin to skin!   I was still shaking A TON, but I was so grateful he was here!  

He was 6lbs 12oz and 19 1/4 inches long.  I had him at 8:08pm.  I was surprised out how little he was-I expected to have a 9 lb baby ;)  








Happy Big Sister


Proud Big Brother



Watkins Family of 5!


Granparent LOVE!



THE NAME:

So it took us a bit to decide on the name....I wanted to name him Tate William and Chris wanted to name him Trace, Brighton Paul, or Cash Gordon.....etc.  We tried to call him Cash, but it just didn't fit.  Sometimes I think these kiddos know their names....and Tate William wasn't right either.  Once we decided that no matter what his middle name would be Gordon - because that was the one thing that FELT right, then Tate just seemed to work better too.  We want Tate to know about his Great Grandpa Gordon Keddington.



Going home!







The kids have been staying with my mom.  They went to church with them and this picture makes me SO HAPPY!




Ems and Terie stopped by for a quick hello!





Lots of this going on over here....

NOTE OF THANKS:
We are SO GRATEFUL to Dena and Paul for staying in our home, loving our kiddos, doing laundry, making meals, and keeping the place up while we were in the hospital.  And Dena's cinnamon roll tradition has been a blessing!  
Oh. So. TASTY.
We are also SO GRATEFUL to my mom for taking the kiddos so I can heal, rest, and love on Tate.  The peace and quiet is fantastic and the time to bond with Tate is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on Baby Tate!!! He is adorable, he looks a lot like Ty! I hope my baby is under 7 pounds...but I don't this that's going to happen! lol. Enjoy your 3 littles!

    ReplyDelete