Thursday, October 24, 2013

Elk Hunt 2013

So...the photos you are about to see may be disturbing for some audiences...so if you can't handle dead animals, blood, meat, etc....don't scroll down.

Chris had been hunting for 2 weeks.  He helped Steve brown haul his out, but we still didn't have one.  When Chris would go hunting, I usually would go to my mom's and work on bottling applesauce, freezing grapes for green smoothies, and other stuff.    

Below is a tough day of hunting with no elk (I might have cried when he called and said he did not get his elk that day.)  We met up at JCW's to drown our sorrows - Chris with a yummy burger and fries and Ty and I shared a shake...When would he ever get his elk????  




After a cold day hunting in the mountains, Chris wanted to get in comfy pajamas and have a pajama party with Ty...aren't they cute?


Making applesauce with Grandma Sorensen.  Ty wanted to be a part of things so badly!  He'd get up on the stool with my mom and watch the apples go in and applesauce come out.

YES-prepare yourself:  The following pics are the elk Chris got.  I squealed with JOY that Friday morning at 8:40 am when I got the call.   That meant I would be getting my hubby back (He would get up around 4am each day he would go hunting....and come back tired.  And I was so excited to know I would get my hubby back!!!)  It had to have been an easy hunt because he called me so early in the morning.  I'll tell the story to the best of my ability and Chris will have to fill in later.

So he was with Steve Brown up by Timpanogos and they were parked by a meadow where there was a herd of elk.  At 7:11am he steadied his gun on the hood of his truck and shot.  7:11am is the exact time that is is legal to open fire - 30 min exactly before sunrise.  The elk herd kept moving and his elk hobbled along.  He shot again and dropped her.  Then he walked out to her.  Steve pulled the truck into the meadow, they field dressed it and hoisted the LARGE animal into the back of the truck.  No dragging, nobody hurt themselves....it was the best hunt Chris had ever had...(At least that is my opinion...)




We have been butchering this elk all week.  Our kitchen has become a meat butchering station for the last 3 days.  We feel blessed to have all of these steaks, roasts, and burger.  Still haven't got to the jerky meat (it's in the fridge) but we'll get there.  Ty freaked out every time I touched the elk, it really bugged him for some reason.  However he's asked all week to see the elk.



THE END

1 comment:

  1. What a happy ending! Glad you got your meat, and I'm glad that it is almost all processed and you are done with that work. What a busy Fall for you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete