Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weak Ankles & Red Castle Ranting

Chris and I went on a hike on Saturday up in the canyon above our house. We realized that it has been a long winter and we need to strengthen ourselves. Strengthen ourselves for what? The annual Red Castle trip. For those of you who don't know, my dad has gone to Red Castle (in the high Uintah mountains) for 19 years, and this July, it will be his 20th year. I had never gone on the backpacking trip with my dad and brothers until I got married to my wonderful Christopher. We went last year, and I enjoyed the challenge of 30-plus miles in 3 days, all with a backpack that contained all that I needed. What I didn't enjoy: how far away the lake was from our camping spot, the rain, sleeping on the ground, only eating cup of noodle and protein bars, and the lightning. What we will do differently this year: warmer clothes, better sleeping pads, better food. What I did enjoy: Being healthy and fit enough to hike that far and live to tell the tale, quality time with my hubby, dad, and brothers, and catching the biggest fishies I have ever caught!

Wow-I got side-tracked. Yes, we are looking forward to Red Castle this year. We realized on our hike yesterday that our ankles are weak, and in order to pack all of the weight for Red Castle, we'll need to start strengthening ourselves. The hike itself was great-the view was spectacular-and we love being outdoors together!

My handsome husband! He's just so great!


I felt great after our hike and am looking forward to going on another one soon!

4 comments:

  1. Zumba is a good workout for the knees and ankles. Or your choice of dance, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you Zumba? How much does it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man!!! ure amazing. i dont think i can survive that hike. lol.

    ReplyDelete