Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Grandpa Hardy

(The only picture I have of grandpa on my computer taken about 12 years ago)

I said goodbye to my Grandpa Hardy today. Although he is still living, his quiet, frail body is showing signs of the inevitable. I couldn't say anything-there were too many people there-but I just looked at his face. He's lived quite the life. I was blessed with an opportunity of writing up some of his personal history when I was in Young Womens . He married my grandma when she was just 17 and their first "home" was a chicken coop. Six kids, 45 grandkids, and over 100 great grandchildren, 8 great-great grandchildren-all started in a humble chicken coop.

There are a few memories of Grandpa that I would like to quickly share:

Canadian mints-as a child when we would see him at church (We were always in the same ward since he lived 2 houses down from me) he would motion me over and stick a few mints in my pocket. I loved those mints!

When my mom needed a babysitter for me, she would tell me that I was to walk to grandma and grandpa Hardy's and "babysit" Grandpa. I always took a dutiful charge and made sure I babysat Grandpa.

Grandpa always called me Peanut or Little Magoo.

I remember when Grandpa got knee surgery. Before going to the hospital, I prepared a song for him and drew him a picture. I remember thinking how serious the hospital was and wanted Grandpa to feel loved.

And now through this time, I hope Grandpa feels loved. The house is filled with people non-stop coming to tell him goodbye. All of his siblings and parents are on the other side waiting to say hello.

I love you Grandpa Hardy!

1 comment:

  1. Extra note-Grandpa Hardy died this morning at 8:06am. Grandma Hardy and my mom, and an uncle and an aunt were there. I am so grateful for my knowledge and testimony of the plan of salvation! I know there is a glorious reunion going on up there!

    ReplyDelete