Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hunting Trip # 1

So I went hunting all weekend. Friday we got to our camp about 5:00pm and started scouting around. We received a little direction from a contact we had and planned our morning hunt. As we were up talking the logistics we looked down the ravine to see a small herd of elk (we only saw a cow elk and a calf). We looked around some more to see if we could see a bull with teh herd. Typically where there is a herd of cow elk there is always one big bull. That night we slept in brandons jeep (three big guys cramped int eh jeep was very uncomfortable). Slept maybe 30 minutes the whole night, half with excitement and the other half with discomfort. We got up at 4:30am and by 5:30 we were on the mountain top waiting for th esun to come up. Jarom was at the bottom of the mountain ready to start push up the mountain where we saw the elk herd the night before. As daylight began to shine I signaled jarom to start pushing (we used the walkie talkies a lot) and he pushed the elk herd out of their bedding ground. I was positioned about 300 yards away from where they actually crossed over the mountain. i was not ready for them to cross over as far down as they did so I tried to hurry and reposition myslef for a clear shot but they were quick and by the time I was ready to shoot there were no elk left to cross. I saw two cow elk cross my scope sights and barely missed the last elk (typically the big bull) in my scope. In the general hunting area on public land that we were on there were soooo many hunters and the odds of getting a bull elk there are 1 in 141 hunters. So we were sooo close!!!! the rest of the trip we saw one cow elk and a calf and that was it. We found tons of fresh tracks but couldn't track them down. We enjoyed conference on the top of the mountains sunday. and then came back monday afternoon. I will probably head up there this weekend as well. By the way. It started snowing and it was 10 degrees in the morning and windy. It was sooooo cold. I slept in the tent saturday and sunday nights. I tried to stay as warm as I could but it was hard. It took my 30 minutes just ot get dressed it was soo cold. It was definitely the coldest camping I have ever done.... Here are some pics:










So I went hunting all weekend. Friday we got to our camp about 5:00pm and started scouting around. We received a little direction from a contact we had and planned our morning hunt. As we were up talking the logistics we looked down the ravine to see a small herd of elk (we only saw a cow elk and a calf). We looked around some more to see if we could see a bull with teh herd. Typically where there is a herd of cow elk there is always one big bull. That night we slept in brandons jeep (three big guys cramped int eh jeep was very uncomfortable). Slept maybe 30 minutes the whole night, half with excitement and the other half with discomfort. We got up at 4:30am and by 5:30 we were on the mountain top waiting for th esun to come up. Jarom was at the bottom of the mountain ready to start push up the mountain where we saw the elk herd the night before. As daylight began to shine I signaled jarom to start pushing (we used the walkie talkies a lot) and he pushed the elk herd out of their bedding ground. I was positioned about 300 yards away from where they actually crossed over the mountain. i was not ready for them to cross over as far down as they did so I tried to hurry and reposition myslef for a clear shot but they were quick and by the time I was ready to shoot there were no elk left to cross. I saw two cow elk cross my scope sights and barely missed the last elk (typically the big bull) in my scope. In the general hunting area on public land that we were on there were soooo many hunters and the odds of getting a bull elk there are 1 in 141 hunters. So we were sooo close!!!! the rest of the trip we saw one cow elk and a calf and that was it. We found tons of fresh tracks but couldn't track them down. We enjoyed conference on the top of the mountains sunday. and then came back monday afternoon. I will probably head up there this weekend as well. By the way. It started snowing and it was 10 degrees in the morning and windy. It was sooooo cold. I slept in the tent saturday and sunday nights. I tried to stay as warm as I could but it was hard. It took my 30 minutes just ot get dressed it was soo cold. Here are some pics:

1 comment:

  1. Brrrr! That looks sooooo cold! Man, you're brave. Sounds fun though. I hope you get a bull elk this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete