Monday, May 9, 2011

Things You Should Know About Hawaii

Geckos aren't green. That's what you should know.

On Saturday night I thought I would go check our porch for geckos since Chris hadn't stalked one down yet. When I went out there, there were three, but my movement scared 2 of them away. I told Chris that I found some geckos and he was so excited, but said, "This one is albino!" I had to explain to Chris that geckos aren't really green at all, see:


Other things you should know:

Flip-flops aren't called flip-flops, here they call them "slippers" and you are always asked to leave them at the door. That's just proper respect here. This is the sign where we are staying:
However, the rain has been non-stop, so when I came out the next morning.....everything was SOAKED!!!
So.....Chris's shoe's were not worn that day. Only flip-flops, uh...I mean slippers. I regretfully forgot my blow-dryer, which would have been our only hope for dryness.....oops....my bad!

Other local terminology I have explained to Chris while here:
"Howzit" = Hello, how are you.
"Ono"= Delicious
"Talk Story" = Visit

Also, chickens run WILD here. There are TONS of them and you hear them ALL DAY. I had Chris take some pictures of some of the wild chickens for memories sake:
Another thing to note for Mikey: Mikey, you should marry an older girl, and this is why: You cannot drive a rental car unless you are 25. Now if you want to drive a rental car and you aren't 25, it's like.....$30 extra per day. Marrying an older girl is economical...and also quite the advantage on trips, guess who's been doing ALL of the driving??? Yup, that's me, Chris's very own "Tour Guide Barbie."
However, it has it's advantages...I do get to drive a pretty cool JEEP Patriot...and feel tough!
And yes, I'm holding a coconut...the coconut that Chris is going to learn how to husk today......We found it on the beach and in order for Chris to be have the true Hawaii experience, he's gonna husk it!


Even more thing you may not care to know:

The three things I HATED THE MOST while here:
  • Cockroaches
  • Centipedes
  • Cane Spiders
And we haven't seen any of them-so far, SO GOOD!

We love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment