Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Price of Insurance

I was brought to an idea today as I thought about how fascinating the concept of insurance is. Insurance is a very profitable industry in the world today. It wasn't even heard of by many people 50 years ago. I just read a section in my marketing book about pet health insurance. Pet health insurance? Really? As I thought more about this insurance concept I decided there was a positive christian application. Here are my notes on the subject:

Society has embraced insurance as a form of business. Everyone is looking for security whether it be through health insurance, business insurance, pet health insurance, dental insurance, homeowners insurance, mortgage insurance, etc... (you get the picture). "What if our house catches fire? What if I suffer a serious injury?" These are worries we experience every day. We spend thousands each year on insurance in some form or another. Why? Are our lives , family's lives, and pets truly insurable?

The truth is that ultimately there is no insurance available that can secure life or temporal things that I know of. The idea of insurance, in my mind, is not security at all, but rather a way to ease the blow of events we are called to pass through.
Enough about the insurance industry and why we have it in our society today. Let's discuss godly insurance.

This insurance also comes at a price however; if you truly think about it, the the pre-mortal stage of our existence Satan's plan was to provide Godly insurance for free to everyone. No matter what deed was done he guaranteed that everyone would make it back and receive celestial rewards. Sounds like a great idea, free insurance, doesn't it? Yet the concept of "free insurance" sure sounds a lot like a certain political philosophy that I have learned about in history. The government could provide that couldn't they? No, not a good idea.


I know this is an important and sacred topic so I do not say this lightly. Yes, the atonement of Jesus Christ is, in one sense of the word, an "insurance." It was a security given to us as a gift, but paid for with a price. The life of Christ climaxed with his sacrifice for our sins. Yet this great and last sacrifice of the Savior does not give us "free insurance" ensuring our celestial home with God. It does not excuse us in the least bit to do what we chose today regardless of God's command. But the sacrifice of the atonement was a Godly insurance.


We are charged with the price of keeping the commandments, with enduring to the end, with building the kingdom of God on earth, and becoming Saviors on Mount Zion to those who were never offered this costly insurance in their lifetime.
Are we paying the premiums for this great Godly insurance? Are we paying it on time?"


This was just a random thought today that I had. I thought I would share as a part of our desire to use the internet as a gospel sharing tool.


3 comments:

  1. thanks =) much enlightened. how r u doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Chris, you're amazing. Thanks for the thoughts. So we all have "Godly insurance" but it all depends on if we are making our "premiums". I love it. Thanks for being such a wonderful example to us. You and Kareena both are such wonderfully amazing people. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete