We wanted to have a more positive experience with the labor and delivery of Liberty. I felt I could not count on an epidural-since it didn't work so well with Ty. So I started looking into the Bradley Method and Hypnobabies. Both were expensive and time consuming to get into as far as classes, books, etc. Plus, all the classes had come and gone, or it was the wrong timing for us. I was feeling super frustrated. However, as you know with thought and prayer, Heavenly Father opens the doors. I was blessed to know a doula who has known my parents for years. Her husband is currently serving in the Stake with my dad. So with the help of a doula we came up with a few things to help. I read her Hybnobirthing book (which ultimately taught me breathing and relaxing techniques) and got on a regimen of red raspberry(strengthens the uterus so it contracts more efficiently), something called 5 week formula, cayene, and I was already taking System Process' Calcium Lactate, Min-Tran, and Chlorophyl complex, wheat germ oil and folic acid B vitamin. (You're now wondering WHY am I telling you all of this? Because I need it documented for next time.) Oh, and I was eating 6 date fruits a day too for the last 4 weeks because of a study the Journal of OBGYN that said it cuts the first stage of labor in half, that most women went into labor spontaneously, etc. I also had my mom do some foot zoning to help my body go into labor as well. What will I add for next time? Probably something called Cervix Softener (from the same people who make the 5 week formula) and evening primrose oil. And yes, I was taking A TON of pills at each meal.
So what actually happened? I was scheduled for an induction on Tues Jan 7. I had gone past my due date and we were a bit concerned that if Ty was 8lbs and 22 in long, this baby could very well be bigger. We didn't want me to go too far because at this stage babies are gaining weight and I didn't want to end up with a c-section. With Ty I went into labor 5 days early, so we felt that we needed to go ahead and get the baby here since I hadn't gone into labor on my own, DESPITE MY BEST EFFORTS....
SO-I took Ty to my parents house on Monday night while Chris finished up some work. I put Ty down for the night at their house, thanked my parents, and headed home. Chris and I got everything ready so that we could get to the hospital at 7am so that I could be induced. Chris was a fantastic help and we got most things in order. Chris gave me a priesthood blessing and then we went to bed. At 12:30 my back was hurting and of course, I needed to use the potty. I woke up and hour later with the same thing. I thought it was because I was in bed and I had been sleeping on the couch most nights. At 2:45 I grabbed Chris's leg. I was having a crazy contraction that I could hardly breathe through and realized I was in labor. I told Chris I needed to get up and walk. I got to the bathroom counter before another contraction hit, then made it back to the bedside when another one hit, and the made it to the other bathroom before the next one hit. They were hard and fast and there was no "walking through them." I yelled at Chris to start a bath cause I needed them to slow down! He was very awake and obedient. :)
First stage of labor? What first stage of labor...apparently they weren't kidding when they said date fruits helped, or any of the stuff I was taking.(At least that is what I believe.) Chris poured water on my stomach as each contraction hit and we called the doula. Once I got in the tub the contractions slowed to 5 min apart. When we were on the phone with the doula they changed to 3 min apart. She told us it was time to head to the hospital. She said I needed to stay warm. Thankfully I had already put out what I was going to wear the next day and I had my warm fuzzy bathrobe to put over it AND I also had rice bags, one on my lower back and another long one around the base of my belly. I was warm. :) Now just imagine Chris running and doing all of this while I'm in the tub-starting the car, loading the hospital bag, warming up rice bags, and doing it all in between contractions because I needed him to pour water on my stomach (I don't know how, but pouring water on my stomach during a contraction REALLY helped-thanks to the doula for making this suggestion.) We definitely woke up Terie downstairs and just after we left we got a a text from her wishing us good luck!
We got to the hospital around 4am. Chris ran inside and got me a wheelchair. They took me to the delivery room. I was already dilated to a 6. My doula got there 30 min later. I had already requested an epidural. They had to get an IV in before they could do the epidural. Apparently small veins run in my family or something. It took them 40 min to get and the anesthisiologist to get the IV in. Even over a week later I have 4 distinct bruises on my arms and hands from their failed attempts at getting a vein. During this time my doula and Chris were using counter pressure to help relieve contraction pain. It really did help! I was also focusing on breathing and dropping my jaw to help relax. Crazy-but this stuff really worked, even while getting poked non-stop! Once the IV was in they checked me and I was at an 8. I know my doula probably did not want me to get an epidural, but OH I WANTED IT! It was getting crazy. So they put in an epidural. Then the waiting game began. I could have probably delivered at 6:30 am but the doctor wouldn't be in until 7am. But he wasn't there....and I waited for an hour, and by waiting I mean the baby was ready, I was ready, I was feeling intense heat and burning down below, epidural wasn't working in the front so much because the baby was putting pressure everywhere down there. One contraction after another and the nurse is asking me all of these annoying questions while I'm trying to breathe through them. At 8am in the doctor came in and broke my water. Then the baby's heart tones went down. He said she was posterior (surprise, surprise, so was Ty) and he used forceps to turn her. This was pretty uncomfortable, but he did a good job and there was hardly a mark on her head. Then he said we needed to get the baby here and it was time for me to push. At this point (my favorite moment with the doula) my doula grabs my face and says with a very serious look she needs me to push. The doctor, nurse, doula, and Chris all cheer me on as I push for a record 5 min. Yes the doctor cut an episiotomy and I tore a bit, but 5 min! I am not complaining. Baby is here and she cries when she comes out! I look at Chris in surprise and joy! Then the doctor literally plops her on my chest and there she stays for about 20 min. She has a great apgar and is perfect. We were SO HAPPY. And we still are. :)
Liberty was 7 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long. Much smaller than I anticipated! We know the Lord answered all of our prayers to bring Liberty to us and for a better labor/delivery experience. We felt the prayers of our family and the power of the priesthood working on our behalf. We know the Lord's timing is perfect. Liberty is a very calm and peaceful baby. Ty is adjusting well and is constantly asking to see "Yibby" and telling us that "Yibby so cute." He loves to hold her with daddy and give her soft loves. He is a good big brother and adjusting well. Libby smiles a lot...she smiles when I talk to her and of course, as she is drifting into a milk-induced sleep. She hardly cries...like maybe once a day...maybe. We are so grateful to have her in our family!









Beautiful. We can hardly wait to see you guys and meet her.
ReplyDeleteKareena. Thank you for sharing your story!! You are a wonder. Liberty Jane is absolutely beautiful. It helps me to hear birth stories from people I love and trust....especially those that will share the real ups and downs of it all so that it is realistic! I'm just beaming inside and out for you right now. Enjoy your family of four!
ReplyDelete